By Keith Wilson
- Informed via the newest in scholarly, severe, and theoretical debates from the various world's prime Hardy scholars
- Reveals groundbreaking insights via examinations of Hardy’s significant novels, brief tales, poetry, and drama
- Explores Hardy's paintings within the context of the key highbrow and socio-cultural currents of his time and assesses his legacy for next writers
Read or Download A Companion to Thomas Hardy (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary victorian criticism books
This examine examines literary star in Britain from 1850 to 1914. via full of life research of infrequent cultural fabrics, Easley demonstrates the an important position of the fame writer within the formation of British nationwide id. As Victorians toured the houses and haunts of well-known writers, they built a feeling of shared nationwide historical past.
Queer Others in Victorian Gothic: Transgressing Monstrosity explores the intersections of Gothic, cultural, gender, queer, socio-economic and postcolonial theories in nineteenth-century British representations of sexuality, gender, type and race. From mid-century authors like Wilkie Collins and Elizabeth Gaskell to fin-de-siècle writers reminiscent of J.
In Victorian Reformations: historic Fiction and non secular Controversy, 1820-1900, Miriam Elizabeth Burstein analyzes the ways that Christian novelists around the denominational spectrum laid declare to well known genres—most importantly, the spiritual old novel—to narrate the aftershocks of 1829, the yr of Catholic Emancipation.
In Dickens's lifetime, and for a iteration or so after, Edmund Hodgson Yates and George Augustus Sala have been the simplest recognized and such a lot winning of his "young males" - the budding writers who said him as their advisor and mentor and whose literary careers the exposure and privately fostered. The booklet considers their own and literary relationships with Dickens, with one another, and with different writers of the interval, Bohemian and "respectable", together with Yates's arch-enemy, his post-office colleague Anthony Trollope.
- Representations of Hair in Victorian Literature and Culture
- The Organist in Victorian Literature (Palgrave Studies in Music and Literature)
- Come Buy, Come Buy: Shopping and the Culture of Consumption in Victorian Women's Writing
- Victorian Types, Victorian Shadows (Routledge Revivals): Biblical Typology in Victorian Literature, Art and Thought
- Dickens, Reynolds, and Mayhew on Wellington Street: The Print Culture of a Victorian Street (The Nineteenth Century Series)
Additional resources for A Companion to Thomas Hardy (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to Thomas Hardy (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by Keith Wilson