By Kirby-Jane Hallum
Read or Download Aestheticism and the Marriage Market in Victorian Popular Fiction: The Art of Female Beauty (Literary Texts and the Popular Marketplace) PDF
Similar literary victorian criticism books
This examine examines literary famous person in Britain from 1850 to 1914. via energetic research of infrequent cultural fabrics, Easley demonstrates the the most important function of the fame writer within the formation of British nationwide identification. As Victorians toured the houses and haunts of recognized writers, they constructed a feeling of shared nationwide historical past.
Queer Others in Victorian Gothic: Transgressing Monstrosity explores the intersections of Gothic, cultural, gender, queer, socio-economic and postcolonial theories in nineteenth-century British representations of sexuality, gender, category and race. From mid-century authors like Wilkie Collins and Elizabeth Gaskell to fin-de-siècle writers comparable to J.
In Victorian Reformations: historic Fiction and spiritual Controversy, 1820-1900, Miriam Elizabeth Burstein analyzes the ways that Christian novelists around the denominational spectrum laid declare to renowned genres—most importantly, the non secular old novel—to narrate the aftershocks of 1829, the 12 months of Catholic Emancipation.
In Dickens's lifetime, and for a iteration or so after, Edmund Hodgson Yates and George Augustus Sala have been the easiest identified and such a lot profitable of his "young males" - the budding writers who stated him as their advisor and mentor and whose literary careers the exposure and privately fostered. The ebook considers their own and literary relationships with Dickens, with one another, and with different writers of the interval, Bohemian and "respectable", together with Yates's arch-enemy, his post-office colleague Anthony Trollope.
- Intimate Violence and Victorian Print Culture: Representational Tensions
- Words, Space, and the Audience: The Theatrical Tension between Empiricism and Rationalism
- Byronic Heroes in Nineteenth-Century Women’s Writing and Screen Adaptation
- Victorian Writers and the Image of Empire: The Rose-Colored Vision (Contributions in Women's Studies)
- The Life of George Eliot: A Critical Biography (Wiley Blackwell Critical Biographies)
- The Art of Adapting Victorian Literature, 1848-1920: Dramatizing Jane Eyre, David Copperfield, and The Woman in White
Additional resources for Aestheticism and the Marriage Market in Victorian Popular Fiction: The Art of Female Beauty (Literary Texts and the Popular Marketplace)
Aestheticism and the Marriage Market in Victorian Popular Fiction: The Art of Female Beauty (Literary Texts and the Popular Marketplace) by Kirby-Jane Hallum