By Alison Byerly
Read or Download Are We There Yet?: Virtual Travel and Victorian Realism PDF
Similar literary victorian criticism books
This learn examines literary megastar in Britain from 1850 to 1914. via vigorous research of infrequent cultural fabrics, Easley demonstrates the the most important function of the fame writer within the formation of British nationwide id. As Victorians toured the houses and haunts of well-known writers, they constructed a feeling of shared nationwide history.
Queer Others in Victorian Gothic: Transgressing Monstrosity explores the intersections of Gothic, cultural, gender, queer, socio-economic and postcolonial theories in nineteenth-century British representations of sexuality, gender, type and race. From mid-century authors like Wilkie Collins and Elizabeth Gaskell to fin-de-siècle writers comparable to J.
In Victorian Reformations: old Fiction and non secular Controversy, 1820-1900, Miriam Elizabeth Burstein analyzes the ways that Christian novelists around the denominational spectrum laid declare to well known genres—most importantly, the spiritual historic novel—to narrate the aftershocks of 1829, the 12 months of Catholic Emancipation.
In Dickens's lifetime, and for a new release or so after, Edmund Hodgson Yates and George Augustus Sala have been the easiest identified and so much winning of his "young males" - the budding writers who stated him as their advisor and mentor and whose literary careers the exposure and privately fostered. The booklet considers their own and literary relationships with Dickens, with one another, and with different writers of the interval, Bohemian and "respectable", together with Yates's arch-enemy, his post-office colleague Anthony Trollope.
- Victorian Poetry (Blackwell Essential Literature)
- Postcolonial George Eliot
- The Secret Vice: Masturbation in Victorian Fiction and Medical Culture
- Women Musicians in Victorian Fiction, 1860-1900: Representations of Music, Science and Gender in the Leisured Home: Volume 39 (Routledge Library Editions: The Nineteenth-Century Novel)
- Fashion and Narrative in Victorian Popular Literature: Double Threads (Routledge Studies in Nineteenth Century Literature)
- The Doctor in the Victorian Novel: Family Practices
Extra info for Are We There Yet?: Virtual Travel and Victorian Realism
Are We There Yet?: Virtual Travel and Victorian Realism by Alison Byerly